Friday, July 19, 2013

First Field Trip Friday of the Year!

Downtown Burlingame.  Streets wide enough for oxen teams to make a u-turn
  This week we started our school year.  I know, I know you're thinking "What!?!".  Think of it this way, we start school when it's hotter than blazes here in Kansas and then let out in late March/early April when it's getting nice!  We've done it the last couple of years and it's worked out great, well, except for this year when it was still cold when we let out, but one out of 3 isn't bad:)
  One thing we started last fall was "Field Trip Fridays".  We've been aiming for local and low cost for most of them.  Today Bubby chose the Schuyler Museum in Burlingame.  The Schuyler Museum used to be Burlingame's school and it has been turned into the town museum and research center.
  It's a typical small town museum, but it seems like we notice something new each time we go.  Burlingame has been around since the 1850s.  An uncle of Hubby's, George Bratton, was one of the town founders. 
  Today we got to see inside the military room, it's usually locked for security reasons.  It was lined with reproductions and donations of uniforms and accessories from every war in the United States.

  One of the favorite parts of the museum for the kids is the coal mine exhibit...
  Ok, so I had my flash on, but this room is lit only by black lights and just thrills them to no end:)  They thought it was pretty cool when I told them that their gggg-grandpa J.J. Parrish was a coal miner there.  One of the best ways to get kiddos interested in history is to make it personal!
   Our trip would not be complete without me making the kids wait while I do a little research (I like to torture them a little, actually it becomes torture for me if I make them wait too long!).  This is what I found today:
it is a picture of the Burlingame G.A.R. (Grand Army of the Republic) members.  Unmarked.  It was a new acquisition to the museum and they had it displayed in hopes that people would identify the gentlemen in it.  Oh, how I'd love to know who they all are!  After documenting all those soldiers in Burlingame Cemetery last year I've come to feel like these guys are my buddies:) 
  After a totally successful field trip, now we're wondering what's on tap for next week!





No comments:

Post a Comment