Friday, May 15, 2015

Field Trip Friday: Holton

  I wanted to sparkle today.  One of my Grandma Mauzey's cousins passed away this week and today was the funeral, which decided the location of our field trip Friday.  The ladies on that side of the family came from very modest backgrounds but always dressed with a sparkle and a flamboyant air.  When I came upon these slippers years ago, I picked them because they are EXACTLY like what my grandma or her sisters or cousins would wear.  So they carried me up North today to Holton to say goodbye.
  Grandma was meeting us at the funeral.  We got there a tad bit early so we decided to wander a bit rather than sitting in the car.  So where does a genealogist/historian take the kids to kill time???  Well, the cemetery of course!  We have all decided we need to go back when it is not quite so soggy and we have more time.  We saw burials as early as 1860, tons of Civil War veterans, and a mausoleum that was HUGE, as well as some awesome stump stones...
  The funeral was bittersweet, aren't they all?  So good to see relatives you haven't seen in ages, but so very sad.  I'm finding that with each family one that we attend these days it reminds me of how much I miss my grandparents and that makes it all the more hard.  One awesome thing was that we had a Patriot Guard leading the procession.  My cousin had seen it and wanted it for her funeral and since one of her nephews was a Patriot Guard he and his wife performed the ceremony for the graveside service.  There was a certain way they handled the flag differently than a veteran funeral. It was so cool!
  Our next stop was the Jackson County Historical Society.  It turned out to be smaller than what I was expecting, but the kids had fun and that's what mattered!
  Just to show you that the kids aren't always poseable...
  Yep, just about sums it up too... a goofy one, one we have to keep from running away and the other that is too busy pointing out the fossils in the rock...
  Back to my story...
Mookie's favorite display was the WPA  dolls, which gave me an intro to WPA, the kids know all about the CCC because it is one of Hubby's hobbies.
Bubby found an interesting display on the old wolf hunts...
I was super excited about the Civil War exhibits and Shorty liked the train (of course), but well, he didn't stand still long enough at anything to get a picture.  He really, really, really, really wanted to go to the playground we'd seen on the way to the museum.
Can you blame him?  Look at that thing!  We played and played until the kids were red faced and sweaty.
the Burger King crown fit in perfectly

When we wore them out, we dropped Grandma off and went home via the Lane Freedom Trail (Hwy 75). 





No comments:

Post a Comment