Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Traditions

  At our church's Sunday evening services, people like to tease the elders, who lead the services, about their repetitive choices for hymns.  The good thing about this though is by now I can sing many of the verses by heart.  So on Sunday when my eyes were wandering while I was singing, they lingered on the large cross at the front of the sanctuary and I was reminded of my youth.  I grew up attending a Methodist church whose building was nearly 100 years old.  Before I was old enough to focus on the sermon (and even after I was), you could catch me staring at the huge stained glass windows wondering what went thru the minds of those Biblical characters, counting the water-stains on the ceiling, & pretty much memorizing every inch of that sanctuary:)  The building oozed history and tradition.  I miss the smallness of the congregation (average about 80), the doxology we sang every week, the pomp & circumstance, & those old hymns we sang.  I think that's why I enjoy the traditional evening service we attend now.
The church of my childhood

 As a contrast, our present church's morning service is contemporary, draws about 400 or more each Sunday, and is in a modern building.  The old me would never have thought to leave my traditions behind, but I love where we are now.   For instance, the music (a mix of current & old standards) is led by an amazing praise band, complete with guitars, piano, drums with the occasional trumpet, sax, & even harmonica.  I remember being a teenager and visiting a church like that and being at awe at the novelty of it.  The structure of the service, while mostly set involves no pomp & circumstance, but flows casually.  One of our kids' favorite part to observe is when the communion trays are brought out & they can watch the firefly-like reflections on the ceiling.  I have seen both worlds & have enjoyed both for different reasons.  I don't think I would choose one over the other, because really, the traditions aren't the important part:)

No comments:

Post a Comment